Borgogno Barbera d’Alba DOC (750ml)
Organic Learn More
The Borgogno name is synonymous with Barolo and is intimately connected to many important historical and cultural events of the region. The estate was founded in 1761, pre-unification of Italy (1961). In 1920, Cesare Borgogno took over management of the winery and began successfully exporting the wines abroad and cellaring wines to create a wine library of reserve wines for later release. The estate remained in the Borgogno / Boschis family up until 2008 when it was purchased by the Farinetti family, who were firmly committed to strictly following the original owner’s traditions. As of 2013 Borgogno went back to using concrete cement as the exclusive material for fermentation tanks and began their conversion to organic viticultural practices in 2016. The wines will be certified organic as of the 2019 vintage.
Intense ruby red color in the glass with a persistent vinous fragrance in the nose almost ethereal, with moderate bottle aging. Dry and with a pleasantly bitter edge encircling plum and cherry fruit and floral notes.
Fermentation is carried out for 12 days at low temperatures, 24-28°C, followed by a soft pressing and ageing one part (70%) in stainless steel tanks for 10 months and the other part (30%) in large Slavonian oak casks for 10 months at a temperature of 18°C. After that the two parts are blended together for 6 months of refining in bottle. This traditional process allows the maintenance of the fresh acidity and spicy notes of an easy-to-drink, fragrant, unique and elegant wine.
Barbera is Piemonte’s most planted grape and is suited to making a range of wine styles; from light, fresh quaffing reds to bold, rich and more complex versions. This expression of Barbera, from the iconic producer Borgogno, falls into the later category making it a great wine choice as we transition into Fall. With the arrival of cooler weather comes slightly richer foods, meaning we naturally gravitate towards more intensely flavoured, weightier wines. This is such a great example of a well-made bigger style of Barbera. The grape’s identity still shines through, despite more extraction and some oak ageing. The nose is intense with lots of morello cherry, juicy blackberry and notes of violet. The palate is plush and mouthfilling, thanks to super ripe fruit and soft velvety tannins, but that characteristic Barbera freshness is there with balanced acidity which is the key to this wine’s food affinity. Serve with polenta and gorgonzola or polenta with stewed meats or sausages and you’ll be in for a soul warming treat!